Re: Proposed Photography Policy

On 3/2/18 12:16 PM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
Those people don't feel empowered to speak up because they fear this EXACT conversation.  They expect that they will be told that they should toughen up, that things have always been this way, that they shouldn't feel the way they feel.  They feel like their business opportunities will dry up if they talk about how scared they are.  They are unwilling to participate more at the IETF because of these concerns.

Along these same lines, I'd like to highlight one of the links that EKR posted earlier:

https://adainitiative.org/2013/07/04/another-way-to-attract-women-to-conferences-photography-policies/

While some of the content here might not be 100% applicable to the IETF, the article does give a good feel for the kinds of issues that males are likely to overlook when considering the impact of photography policies on gender diversity in their organizations. And while I haven't looked at the gender stats of registered IETF participants, I think we can agree that a casual glance around an IETF meeting room shows that we're not really doing well in this regard.

/a