Re: travelling home just before thanksgiving is hard

--On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 17:15 +0100 Eliot Lear
<lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd go further: I'd like to see us work toward a 2 meeting per
> year plenary schedule with mandatory virtual WG meetings at
> the other quarter slots.  My logic is that there are many who
> really cannot afford to go to all of these meetings, who
> nevertheless would like to participate.  Some of them do
> virtually today, but always at a disadvantage to those who can
> pay to play.

I question "mandatory" -- a WG that is able to make adequate
progress by email should be able to do that, just as such as WG
can avoid meeting at the main IETF gatherings now -- but,
otherwise, as our remoote participation facilities get batter
and better (Thank you Meetecho and the Secretariat), that
definitely sounds to me like the right direction in which to go.

It is also not just about the money -- as things seem to be
becoming more and more specialized, it gets harder to justify
spending a week away from the "day job" in order to attend a
small number of WG sessions, a plenary (which could be sent out
remotely), a Thursday talk (ditto), and gather around assorted
real or virtual bars and water fountains.  Twice a year might be
enough for those things too.

best,
   john