Re: travelling home just before thanksgiving is hard

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017, Kent Watsen wrote:

> I had an awful experience travelling home from Singapore.  What was
> supposed to be 22-hours of travel became 40-hours.  Much of this was
> due to my US-based connecting airport being exceptionally busy,
> related to this most-travelled holiday of the year, causing me to
> miss my gate and not be able to get onto either of two standbys.
>
> Even if the travel-congestion were not an issue, there the secondary
> issue of coming home into an already short week.  Most US companies
> give Thursday and Friday off and many, including myself, take
> Wednesday off as well (to travel to our Thanksgiving destinations).
> This leads the somewhat frantic situation of trying to catch-up on
> email from the week before while clearing the way for the week
> ahead.
>
> I understand that this is just an American holiday and that less
> than half of the IETF are Americans but, if there is any discretion
> in the matter for future meetings, I would be exceptionally happy if
> the IETF made an effort to hold the 3rd-meeting of the year a week
> earlier.
>
> Thanks,
> Kent

Sorry to hear that too, but looking at the actual schedule, I would
imagine you could have left Singapore as early as Saturday morning
(or very late Friday night) which would get you to at least the West
Coast by Saturday morning (local) and that *should* at least be
several days before chaos broke out in the US. I would agree that we
should avoid major holidays, but I'd say we mostly did in this
particular case. Of course, as they say, "your mileage may vary."

Ole