Re: travelling home just before thanksgiving is hard

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Also, if we have to steer clear of Thanksgiving, in fairness we'd have
    > to steer clear of Chinese New Year and other such events.

My take on this is that it's not Thanksgiving itself, but rather the travel
congestion associated with it.
Last weekend (when y'all were returning from Singapore) is apparently the 2nd
busiest travel weekends in the US.

Chinese New Year is two weeks, I think.

I also think that aside from the family issues for someone being away during
those two weeks, if someone had to travel in China in the middle of the two
weeks that there would be little travel congestion.

The Orlando 2012 week was similar: a March break weekend between the Quebec
and Ontario school breaks in Canada, and an extremely popular time to visit
Florida.  I arrived a day late, having flown an extra 3000km.

I'd like to see us work to reduce the demand for meeting time, and pull the
hackathon and other "weekend" events into a Sunday->Thursday schedule.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-