ISOC Charity EMail

Hi -

This morning I received a donation solicitation from ISOC entitled "Help connect the world".  What was interesting about it - from an IETF point of view - was that we were nowhere mentioned.  I got curious and clicked through (after checking the URL) to the donation page.  There we were mentioned in two words - "smart standards" in the FAQ about how the money will be spent.

AFAICT, I'm on the solicitation mailing list because of my donation to the IETF trust a while back.  If that's the case, I'm somewhat bothered that that list has been co-opted to be used as an ISOC source of potential donors.  I wouldn't mind so much if the IETF were prominently mentioned, or if the donations could be designated for the IETF but neither of these seem to be the case.

We've got another thread on the ISOC mission statement where the lack of a specific mention of the IETF in said mission statement has been noted.

These are disturbing trends.

Mike