Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2017, at 11:38 AM, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Is that not what IoT will be all about ?
>
> IoT is about spying on people. [*] Don't believe me?  Do a job search for IoT and see what skills employers are looking for.
>
> [*] and drastically increasing the network's vulnerability to attack, of course.

In this case, we need more educated buyers, and also more people
actually doing reviews of those products that will influence buyer's
decision. It's unlikely that people are going to avoid "IoT". One of
my friends once told me that once he bought smart light bulbs, he's
not going back. It makes his life easier. I think that what is done by
independent security researchers is a good example of vendors being
responsive to concerns : https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/47803.html.