Re: FTP and file transfers

On 10/07/2017 04:58 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    There are still a number of important edge cases for which FTP is
    superior to any other widely available protocol - wildcard transfers
    of multiple files, text file transfers between systems with
    different character encoding conventions, 3rd party mediated
    transfers (used regularly in the broadcast TV industry where having
    system A control moving of content from B to C is exactly what is
    needed).

    However FTP does look a bit antiquated by now - what with its
    support for file and record types that are almost (but not quite)
    entirely nonexistent on modern systems; a lot of implementations
    sadly never figured out how to make it work through NAT [*] (or a
    lot of ALGs in NAT didn't work right); and I have a hard time
    recommending for widespread use any protocol that doesn't have
    encryption as an ordinary, widely-implemented feature.

​Exactly how I feel. Yes, it was state of the art in its day. It is not state of the art now. I would like something better and as you point out, the alternatives are not exactly great.​

rsync works for synchronization, and subdirectories (and the IETF already has rsync available). And it can run with SSH.

--

Doug Royer - (http://DougRoyer.US  http://goo.gl/yrxJTu )
DouglasRoyer@xxxxxxxxx