Re: Slides, eye charts, and a beg for readability

--On Monday, July 24, 2017 11:35 +1000 Narelle
<narellec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm giving a preso at an upcoming major IEEE conference and
> they run training for their speakers, distribute a training
> pack and template. Amongst all of that was this guidance:
>
> "• 10/20/30 Rule
> • (10 slides - 20 minutes presentation - 30pts font)"
>
> Now it wasn't perfect either and we also had the accessibility
> conversation about the colours chosen in the template.
>
> This is just FYI - I'm not expecting the equivalent but food
> for thought.

Narelle,

Thanks. IMO helpful.  As another guideline/ rule of thumb, I've
often been told that, if any given slide takes appreciably less
than one minute or more than two to present, something is
probably wrong.  At the lower bound, one is running the slides
too rapidly for the audience to see, read, and absorb what is on
them.  At the upper one, there is probably too much information
(or too much clutter or other "stuff") on the slide.   The
relationship between that rule and "10 slides - 20 minutes
presentation" is probably not a coincidence.  Personally, I
prefer to put less on each slide and run them a little faster --
I would have said 10 slides and 12 to 15 minute presentation --
but it is a bit of a matter of taste, audience, speaking speed
and clarity, etc.

On the other hand, if one treats a more or less standard A4 or
8.5x11 page in landscape orientation as the baseline, 30 point
type allows, depending on the leading (or inter-line spacing)
about 18 lines on the slide.  That would generally be too much,
not because of the type size, but because it allows too much
material to be squeezed in.

best,
    john