Re: Single virtual queue (was Re: Pink Squares)

On 7/27/15 2:20 AM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> I do support the idea that a remote participant can get in a
> queue and not be endlessly gazumped by folks who are present.
> With jabber and channelling that works ok today.

Well, no.  Whether or not it works at all is highly dependent
on having a chair that pays attention to remote participants and
a diligent scribe.  I've participated remotely quite a bit over
the years and I have to say that this was absolutely the worst
meeting I've experienced - some number of chairs seem to think
that having Meetecho broadcasts obviates the need for other
forms of remote participant support, including having a scribe
to relay questions/comments/hums to the floor.  This problem
is exacerbated by chairs calling consensus in the room, without
taking the issue out to the mailing list.  This is not to
move away from the discussion of handling mic queues, but rather
to point out that whether or not what we have now works well
is highly situational, and it can occasionally be quite bad.

> What I do not want however is for chairs to lose the ability to
> allow two or more folks to discuss a specific point when that's
> the best way to get something resolved.

Yes, presumably this is why we have meetings in the first place.
We could probably sort people in the queue by topic but that
still wouldn't provide enough specificity to do what you're
describing.  I think that ultimately it comes down to good
chairing practices (as well as good meeting participant practices).

Melinda