Re: Single virtual queue (was Re: Pink Squares)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not in favour of a rigidly enforced single queue, virtual
> or not.

   Strawman alert! (Nobody's proposing that.)

> I do support the idea that a remote participant can get in a
> queue and not be endlessly gazumped by folks who are present.
> With jabber and channelling that works ok today.

   Well, no...

   It's rare that a single jabber scribe accomplishes this well during
an entire session. I really don't want to badmouth any individuals,
but it's quite common that MIC requests don't get serviced until the
topic has changed.

> We need to find a way to make it work with remote audio input...

   We saw several sessions in IETF-93 where a remote participant was
given active status with video; and was treated like somebody standing
near the microphone. QED

> What I do not want however is for chairs to lose the ability to
> allow two or more folks to discuss a specific point when that's
> the best way to get something resolved.

   We have that -- and it works pretty well. Folks that want to
discuss a point stand near the microphone, and go back and forth
until the Chair recognizes someone else. That same principle _worked_
with remote participants' video staying on-screen.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>