Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

> > I hope we are steadily moving moving towards a network that comes with
> > build-in privacy. I am not saying that the IETF needs to be the front
> > runner in that with their documents, although at some point in time
> > we should do what we preach.

> I don't disagree with "built in" privacy.

> I disagree with "forced" privacy and I don't think that any "rough
> consensus" document should force that upon any of us (especially one
> with zero requirements language).

> The key question here is simple:

> 	- does the RFC Editor have a reason to warrant
> 	mandatory privacy?

> 	- should mandatory privacy apply to the whole site,
> 	or should there be some content it doesn't care is tracked?

> IMO, access to I-Ds and RFCs ought to be available even with tracking.

I completely agree with all of this. The IETF has led the way in providing
fully open access to both its standards and standards-in-the-making, and
indeed, there are still plenty of other standards that are difficult
to access.

To me this is one of the IETF's core principles, and I don't think the
"privacy everywhere" priincple comes even close to trumping it.

				Ned