Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

On 4/3/2015 5:52 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2015, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> So let's say that "network" is run by your government, and they don't
>> want to do that. You're OK with denying access?
>
> You realise the irony that a large part of this mess is because of
> recently discovered government behaviour? :P

On one hand, we have governments that want to track the content.

On the other, we have governments that won't allow content they can't track.

(sometimes they put their hands together)

>> I don't think that's appropriate. Our documents are not "only for those
>> who have non-monitored access".
>
> I hope we are steadily moving moving towards a network that comes with
> build-in privacy. I am not saying that the IETF needs to be the front
> runner in that with their documents, although at some point in time
> we should do what we preach.

I don't disagree with "built in" privacy.

I disagree with "forced" privacy and I don't think that any "rough
consensus" document should force that upon any of us (especially one
with zero requirements language).

The key question here is simple:

	- does the RFC Editor have a reason to warrant
	mandatory privacy?

	- should mandatory privacy apply to the whole site,
	or should there be some content it doesn't care is tracked?

IMO, access to I-Ds and RFCs ought to be available even with tracking.

Joe