Re: [92all] IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

On 2/24/15 12:29 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> This text, in an email from the IETF Secretariat, is immediately
> followed to a cisco.com URL.   So a disinterested reader would
> naturally assume that the event is an IETF event, and that Cisco is
> somehow involved in organizing it, or maybe is sponsoring it (e.g.,
> paying for the room or something).   I do not actually know the truth
> of the matter, but the meeting info is very clear about what the
> hackathon is about.   So while I guess I can understand that you
> might be confused about who is sponsoring it, I am still at a loss as
> to why that's a problem.

I don't love it - it increases the difficulty of arguing that yes,
the IETF really is a vendor-independent organization just a wee bit
more - but I wonder if Cisco would not choose to sponsor something
like that if they couldn't slap their branding on it.  Why was the
announcement on Cisco's site, anyway?  Is this a Cisco event or
an IETF event?

Melinda