Re: [92all] IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

Dave,

I agree with Tom's statement that there is too much corporate marketing around this hackathon.

On Feb 24, 2015, at 3:22 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/24/2015 11:25 AM, Charles Eckel (eckelcu) wrote:
>> I¹ll take the blame for the unfortunately short notice. We started
>> planning only a couple weeks ago, and thought that having something at
>> IETF 92 is better than nothing.
>

> It's important that we be careful not to consider this in terms of
> blaming anyone about this (or any, IMO) specific event.  Each of the
> activities -- certainly including this one -- is fully worthy.
>

> However there is a long-standing pattern of late announcements of
> special activities surrounding IETF Week.
>
> I see this as a presumption about who can and will attend, namely the
> hard-core devotees who have the funding and long-term commitment to attend.

I fully disagree with this statement and it is very disrespectful. I know many people personally who have been coming to IETF for more then 25 years and they are interested in such a hackathon, but can't change their plans.

> The problem is with who this de facto excludes.

IMO, too many people

Dean