Re: [92all] IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

On 2/24/2015 11:25 AM, Charles Eckel (eckelcu) wrote:
> I¹ll take the blame for the unfortunately short notice. We started
> planning only a couple weeks ago, and thought that having something at
> IETF 92 is better than nothing.

It's important that we be careful not to consider this in terms of
blaming anyone about this (or any, IMO) specific event.  Each of the
activities -- certainly including this one -- is fully worthy.

However there is a long-standing pattern of late announcements of
special activities surrounding IETF Week.

I see this as a presumption about who can and will attend, namely the
hard-core devotees who have the funding and long-term commitment to attend.

The problem is with who this de facto excludes.

I think the important issue to for all of us to get our heads in a place
that worries about more advanced notice.  Once we think of 2- or 3-month
(or whatever we feel appropriate) deadlines, we will all come up with
ideas for activities as we usually do -- last-minute -- but relative to
the earlier deadline, rather than the actual event.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking