Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> (Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

[Resending in plain-txt -- my apologies... I was using a web interface...]

Fred,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Templin, Fred L
<Fred.L.Templin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I disagree with the header chain terminating as soon as another IPv6
> header is encounter. That defeats defense-in-depth, since outer
> perimeter middleboxes would be forced to admit packets with unexamined
> header chains inward to inner perimeter middleboxes. And, if the
> unexamined header chains contain bad stuff inserted by an attacker,
> the attack is successful.

The same is true if the underlying encapsulation layer is IPv4. Once
you're encapsulating, all bets are off in that respect. You should do
defense-in-depth at the tunnel ingress or egress points. Or, if you
wish, a middle-box could reassemble-inspect/filter-re-fragment

Note that no matter what hardcoded limit you enforce, an attacker
willing to evade you're security controls can always add an
extra-layer of encapsulation (assuming he controls that). Also, common
security policy is "default deny" -- so if the attacker plays dirty,
his packets will be dropped.

> That requirement is also not observed by common middlebox systems
> such as Wireshark and tcpdump. Both will blast past encapsulating
> IPv6 headers through to the header chain inserted by the original
> host without stopping at the outermost IPv6 header.

They do what a middle-box would do in this case: whatever part of the
header chain is there, it's up to you to inspect it. As noted by Ole,
when you tunnel over IP, IP becomes a link layer... so whatever
"defense in depth" techniques you're using, they should be prepared to
deal with scenarios in which a tunneled packet does not contain the
entire IPv6 header chain, since not all "link layers" (as IPv4 when
IPv6 is tuneled over IPv4) guarantee a minimum MTU of 1280 bytes.

Thanks,
Fernando