Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> (Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

Fred,

See below...

On 10/10/2013 06:42, Templin, Fred L wrote:
> Hi Ole,

Since the problem recurses as we tunnel tunnels, I don't see how any
finite limit can solve the problem. 1280 itself is a pragmatic choice
of "a bit shorter than 1500".

The problem is that you are asserting that middleboxes that a tunnel
passes through are expected to examine the complete header chain of
the encapsulated packet even if the encapsulated packet is a fragment.
I think that's an unreasonable expectation. A reasonable expectation
is that middleboxes should identify the encapsulated packet as
a payload that they cannot analyse, and let it go (unless they
have a policy setting to drop tunnelled packets, which is a
different discussion).

I understood that to be the basis on which the WG reached consensus.

    Brian