RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> (Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

Hi Ray,

Sure, but this draft is about setting healthy limits where there were
previously none.

> >> And why that couldn't be dealt with in a later draft (that imposes
> >> additional limits on header chains in specific scenarios)?
> >
> > Once a spec says that a host is permitted to send MTU-sized header
> > chains the die is cast and no later draft will be able to undo it.
>
> Why not? If this is a "maximum", there may always be scenarios where
> less than a maximum is appropriate.

This draft is intending to update RFC2460. Once updated, the
maximum header size requirements are cast in stone.

> > The host has no idea that there may be one or more tunnels in the
> > path, and so has no way of knowing to alter its behavior to be
> > kind to tunnels.
>
> RFC 2473 is pretty explicit about how to handle fragmentation (in the
> presence of nested IPv6 tunnels).
>
> Once a packet is encapsulated in a tunnel it becomes a new "original
> packet" for the next tunnel in any nested tunnel scenario.
>
> And PMTUD on the originating host (whether that's the original host, or
> the tunnel entry point at the previous nesting level) should receive a
> signal if the current tunnel entry node cannot handle encapsulation due
> to MTU issues (Section 7 of RFC 2473). So the originating host should
> always be informed of the MTU issue, and be able to alter its behavior
> accordingly.

We would have to go back into the long discussions on PMTUD brokenness
to show why you can't always rely on it. Hosts are *guaranteed* 1280,
but they *expect* 1500. Absent signaling from the network, that is
all they know.

> So again, I don't see what's new in this draft.
> > That, plus the fact that attackers will be able to craft packets
> > intended to fool middleboxes by sending a fragmented tunneled
> > packet with the "good" part of the header chain in the first
> > fragment and the "bad" part of the header chain in the second
> > fragment.
> IMHO They can do that today (and worse).

Sure. That's because there are currently no healthy limits set. This
draft is about setting healthy limits; I am saying that as long as
we are making the effort we should get it right.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@xxxxxxxxxx