Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> On 4/16/13 2:00 AM, Dan Harkins wrote:
>
>> Under the belief of "garbage in, garbage out", I tend to lie on these
>> sorts of repugnant questions. I invite others to join me. The more
>> suspect the quality of the data, the less value it has. Dan.
>
> Please don't.  We are trying to understand who we are.  Is that SO
> unreasonable?

I don't object to filling out forms, and I would certainly answer honestly.
Who is "we"?  Just people who go to the Berlin IETF?
   - does it include remote participants via Jabber or other tools
   - does it include people who participate only on WG mailing lists?

The only bias I see is that it takes a lot of employer backing
and funding to participate in the IESG.  It is therefore the
companies that sponsor these participants have the most influence of all
over the selection process.

Hold another IETF in San Jose or San Francisco and I bet we get
way more balanced data than a site that requires a lot of travel,
especially since we have day passes now.

> Eliot

Andy