Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

On 4/12/13 1:26 PM, Lou Berger wrote:
> No argument from me, I'm just asking that a comment/position/question
> that I don't understand be substantiated.

And I'm telling you that I think the numbers are highly suggestive
of bias.  We can take a swing at getting a very rough handle on
that but I'm actually not sure that we should because it appears
to be the case that the cost of any remediation that some of us
might want to undertake would be higher than the cost of living
with bias in the system (this would be the considerable downside
to consensus decision-making processes with a very large participant
base).

>> And I don't know if you intended to or not, but what you
>> communicated is "The best candidates are nearly always
>> western white guys," since that's who's being selected.
>> That's a problematic suggestion.
>
> I certainly, in no way, shape, or form intended such an implication.  I
> have not idea how one could read it that way, [ ... ]

A (male) friend once said that men are no more likely to notice
sexism than fish are to notice water.  I think that was far
too broad but generally true.  If I think that white western
men are being selected in disproportion to their presence in
the candidate pool, and I do, then telling me that "we only
choose the best" is telling me that white, western men tend
to be the best.  Pretty much every organization that applauds
itself for its meritocratic reward structure (to the extent
that an I* gig is a "reward") and yet only advances white
guys says the same thing.  It is a trope, and a familiar one.

Melinda