Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 04:40:57PM -0800, Melinda Shore wrote:
> My own feeling is that if we were to find that the
> numbers supported the notion that there's bias
> present in the system we probably couldn't do anything
> about it without tearing the organization apart, so,
> we live with bias, and trying to identify whether or
> not there's bias in the nomcom process would be something
> along the general lines of opening the gates of hell
> and we'd probably be better off not knowing for sure.

I still think that the IETF community at large has no intentional
diversity bias, so the process of discussing and analyzing
diversity in the context of leadership is to help better describe
diversity induced job qualifications as well as uncovering any
potential unconscious bias to help overcoming it.

> But I digress.  It seems to me that it might be more
> useful to identify what it is you're trying to find out,
> first, and in this case I'm really not sure why Ray asked
> that particular question.

Right. Being nomcom, i am of course interested to see what
answers we can get to help improve analyzing our situation, so
whether or not we can create good analysis vs. divesity fators,
I think the questions i proposed just by themselves would give
a good insight about awareness in the community about the role
of leadership, and maybe give us some more insight into the possible
pool.

Cheers
    Toerless