Re: voting system for future venues?

On 24/08/2011 23:12, Keith Moore wrote:
> Maybe there needs to be some sort of voting system for future venues.

First of all, remember that the community asked for venue selections
2 to 3 years in advance.  I don't think that many people can predict
if they will attend a meeting 2 years from now.

This proposal would require that the secretariat works out 3-4 proposals
for meeting locations in great detail.   That is a lot more work than
the current approach: start with a few locations, discard options as
one goes along.  More work means more costs and thus higher meeting fees.

Do we really want to increase fees just to have more options?

> You'd be eligible to vote if you'd attended an IETF anytime within the past,
> say, 2 years - or if you were willing to commit to attending the one you vote on
> if it wins.  (say by putting down a deposit toward meeting fees).
>
> Instead of picking one venue, the committee would solicit bids from N (say 3-4)
> different venues within a geographic region.    The bids would include:
>
>   * room cost per night in the conference hotel
>   * room cost per night in each of some small number of alternate hotels
>   * locations of said hotels and nature of transportation between there and the
>     conference venue
>   * meeting fee for the entire week if that venue is chosen
>   * other pertinent information (like what kind of food is nearby, what kind of
>     facilities there are in or near the venue for impromptu gathering, what
>     kinds of sightseeing opportunities there are, etc.)

Looking at past discussions on the mailing lists, this list will be a lot longer.

> That way, everyone could figure his own travel costs, factor in his own
> willingness to stay further away for less cost, etc.

Not true: it is not possible (nor sensible) to buy plane tickets 2 years
in advance and a lot of things can change in between.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk(at)uijterwaal.nl
                                          http://www.uijterwaal.nl
                                          Phone: +31.6.55861746