Re: Hyatt Taipei cancellation policy?

On Aug 22, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Lixia Zhang wrote:

> Since you brought up the subject of hotel: up to now IETF hotel prices have been within the federal per diem allowance, but IETF82 seems an exception by a pretty big gap (see http://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem_action.asp?MenuHide=1&CountryCode=1142, lodging allowance $186/day, a single room at Hyatt is $263/day with 10% tax)

As for the rates, they are high.  Taiwan is expensive, particularly given that the hotels know what our options are when we book the TICC.  The Hyatt knew that foreign visitors needed to use the Hyatt as headquarters and charged accordingly.  Since the time of our site visit, 2 new hotels have been constructed in the vicinity of the TICC (Le Meridien and W), which may provide more competition for Hyatt in these circumstances.  At the time we were working on this event, there were no acceptable options.

Ray