Re: Running Code

Ned Freed wrote:

>>> On the contrary, that's exactly what it does. Quoting from the draft:
>>>
>>>    The "Running Code Considerations" section MUST be present in all
>>>    Internet-Draft and SHOULD be inserted after the Security
>>>    Considerations and IANA Considerations sections.  This section MUST
>>>    be present even if the document does not describe an implementable
>>>    protocol and should contain in this case a text explaining why this
>>>    section is irrelevant.  The RFC Editor can remove this "Running Code
>>>    Considerations" section before publication as RFC.
>
>> A "Running Code Considerations" section can be empty, this is the
>> reason of the last sentence (this is similar to what is done for the
>> IANA Consideration Section).  If a protocol described in an I-D has
>> no implementation then the section is empty, and people can decide
>> to invest in this protocol using this information.  This to say,
>> again, that the text does not implies that implementations are
>> mandatory, just that their existence must be documented in the I-D.
>
> I'm talking about the mandatory nature of the section. What the seection says
> is irrelevant. More mandatory sections are bad and that's exactly what this
> proposal calls for.
>
> If a draft author wants to describe implementation work and how it has helped
> produce the document, that can be done in the acknowledgements section. So,
> while I entirely support the development of codde in parallel with
> specifications, I am totally opposed to ideas put forward in this draft. The
> absolute last thing we need is ANYTHING that makes getting documents through
> the process more difficult. We have too much piled on crap as it is.

It seems that this is the consensus.

Now, I know by experience that even significant contributions to an
I-D does not guarantee you a place in the acknowledgement section.
So what is the incentive into developing code that 1) will probably
be obsoleted by the next version of the I-D and 2) will not be
acknowledged at all in contributing to the improvement of the protocol?

As I understand it, it is considered very offensive in the academic
world to not properly cite sources.  It should be the same for early
implementation when designing a protocol.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx