Re: Running Code

On 3/4/09 12:17 PM, "Marc Petit-Huguenin" <petithug@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now, I know by experience that even significant contributions to an
> I-D does not guarantee you a place in the acknowledgement section.
> So what is the incentive into developing code that 1) will probably
> be obsoleted by the next version of the I-D and 2) will not be
> acknowledged at all in contributing to the improvement of the protocol?

I tend to assume people will be interested in a protocol
for some other reasons than garnering acknowledgements
and fluffing their resumes, and those other reasons will
presumably be sufficient motivation.  Implementing something
will tend to be a pretty good way to find bugs, inefficiencies,
or other problems with a protocol specification.  If you're
interested in kudos, take the issues you find to the mailing
list rather than directly to the author.

I'm pretty surprised by this argument.

Melinda