RE: [dnsext] RFC 3484 section 6 rule 9 causing more operational problems

> > i disagree.  dns-based load balancing is an unfortunate overloading
> and
> > should never be done.  RFC 3484 is correct as it is.
>
> Why is it right for topology-ignorant clients to override topology-
> aware
> DNS servers based on wishful thinking about RIR address allocation
> policies?

The order of records in a DNS response is, at best, a hint. Relying on it as if it were a mandate to clients is a gamble. It is quite legitimate for clients to consider the entire list of addresses and try to pick the best ones, based on their knowledge of topology. We may argue whether the specific algorithm in RFC 3484 is the correct one, and I hope that future clients will implement something smarter than prefix matching. But if service operators want to balance load on their servers, they need to consider something a bit more sophisticated than merely reordering the records in the DNS response...

-- Christian Huitema