Re: [dnsext] RFC 3484 section 6 rule 9 causing more operational problems

* Christian Huitema:

> The order of5C records in a DNS response is, at best, a
> hint. Relying on it as if it were a mandate to clients is a gamble.

When you run RRset-based load balancing, you don't rely on servers
preserving order, or reordering responses.  It is completely
sufficient that there is a certain amount of variation among resolver
and application address selection.  It has been repeatedly and
independently observed that Rule 9 does not provide sufficient
variance, in contrast to previous behavior.

Rule 9 is also unfortunate because it means that after renumbering,
server loads change in ways the operator cannot influence (except by
requesting addresses with certain bit patterns, but I don't think
anybody wants vanity IP addresses).

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@xxxxxx>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99