Re: Running Code

I think the developer should be acknowledged if they indeed contributed to the spec development. (Many implementations are done well outside the IETF, with essentially no feedback loop.) If they are not, this seems like a behavior for the WG chair to encourage.

We need to recognize that the value of implementations differs greatly depending on the nature of the specification. They are very valuable for new protocols and higher-risk efforts (e.g., new algorithms), but less so for the more routine maintenance activities, such as adding a DHCP option.

I don't see how making implementations mandatory helps, as Henry seems to be advocating. We can't force spec writers to code and we can't force those outside the IETF to implement our drafts. Thus, all we'd get is further delay, as we wait for this gating condition, or specs that are dropped in the early stages. It would, however, likely mean that only entities with more resources, who can more easily commandeer a developer for their draft to do a token implementation, get to write the specs.

We should encourage implementations, e.g., by having implementors speak during WG meetings or by hosting interoperability events, plug fests, code spurts and similar activities around the IETF, as well as by eating our own dog food.

Henning

Now, I know by experience that even significant contributions to an
I-D does not guarantee you a place in the acknowledgement section.
So what is the incentive into developing code that 1) will probably
be obsoleted by the next version of the I-D and 2) will not be
acknowledged at all in contributing to the improvement of the protocol?

As I understand it, it is considered very offensive in the academic
world to not properly cite sources.  It should be the same for early
implementation when designing a protocol.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx