Re: Running Code

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
>> I would like to bring to your attention this proposal to put back
>> running code at the center of Internet protocol design by adding a
>> new Considerations Section in future Internet-Drafts and RFCs:
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petithuguenin-running-code-considerations-00.txt
>>

> There used to be a term for those who attempted to manipulate the shape
> of the universe by manipulating the names in the Usenet hierarchy.
>
> I get the same impression from people who want to manipulate IETF
> behaviour by manipulating the shape of Internet-Drafts.

I do not see how you can have this impression, as the I-D does not
try to make implementations mandatory for Internet-Drafts - _that_
would be changing the IETF behavior.  What the document says is that
early implementers efforts should be rewarded by listing their name,
sponsors and access to their code as a thank you for helping improve
the protocol.  That does not change the IETF behavior - at best that
will change the quality of IETF protocols.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx