Do you want the protocol DEPLOYED or not? Re: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

What I took from Jonathan's draft was the sense (correct in my view) that if we want new protocols to be successfully *deployed* in actual production networks and communicate across the firewall (which may or may not be doing NAT) to the public Internet, they should ideally sit on top of either TCP or UDP.

In both small and large corporate environments, my experience has certainly been that if you want communication to occur through the firewall, at some point you have to talk to "the firewall people".  It may be one person or a team and they may have differing levels of paranoia about how tight of a ruleset they have, but they are there.  And any new protocol needs to go through their box.

If you go to them and say that you need to open up TCP or UDP port XXX to/from a certain box, they may ask you questions, but at least they understand you. You are speaking their language.

If you go to them and say that you need to open up connections for a new transport protocol on top of IP, they will probably look at you like you have 3 heads.  And then they'll probably ask you a lot MORE questions.  And in fact they *may not be able to do it* with whatever firewall software they have.  I have seen some firewall software that when you are creating rules from the GUI, you only have 3 choices for a protocol on top of IP: TCP, UDP or ICMP.  Period. End of story.  If you want another transport protocol you *might* be able to do it with some command-line hackery, but that might also potentially be beyond the expertise level of the firewall people.

We can argue about how poorly designed that firewall software is, but that is the reality.  The deployed production environment on the public Internet today understands that transport protocols are TCP and UDP (with ICMP around to serve its limited purpose).

That is my take on Jonathan's point.

Want to have a successful protocol?  Want it to take off and (potentially) be adopted by millions?   Use TCP or UDP as the base.

My 2 cents,
Dan