Re: session layers, was Re: Renumbering ... Should we consider an association that spans transports?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Keith Moore wrote:

> I actually don't think that having multiple concurrent TCP connections
> between two peers is a bad thing.   sure we could have a transport
> protocol that provided multiple streams, but why bother when concurrent
> TCP connections works pretty well?

I agree, except that "pretty well" is a bit crappy when every connection
has to re-establish authentication and encryption - which is what drives
some protocols to implement their own multiplexing.

> mumble. I don't have a problem with multiple TCP connections, but OTOH
> I think that using TCP close for framing is bad application design. so
> I don't view persistent connections in HTTP as a workaround, I view it
> as fixing a design flaw in HTTP/1.0.

I agree, especially because some software has problems telling the
difference between clean and dirty closes. However there's a latency /
efficiency trade-off, and TCP pushes you towards pipelining multiple
transactions down a few connections even when a more natural design
might have greater concurrency. mumble.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA: SOUTHERLY, BACKING NORTHEASTERLY FOR A TIME, 3 OR 4. SLIGHT OR