Re: Renumbering ... Should we consider an association that spans transports?

Tony Finch wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Keith Moore wrote:
>

>> Offhand I don't know why it should be necessary to build a mechanism
>> that spans several transport lifetimes.
>>

> TLS session caches. HTTP cookies. FTP control connections.

okay fine (at least for the first two) but should that information be
managed by the application, or at a lower layer?  particularly if it
needs to be shared among multiple instances of a service that may reside
on different hosts?
> Apps that want to deal with concurrent data streams within one user's
> session currently have to establish and authenticate multiple TCP
> connections (e.g. HTTP, IMAP) or re-implement TCP's multiplexing and
> windowing at the application level (e.g. BEEP, ssh).

I actually don't think that having multiple concurrent TCP connections
between two peers is a bad thing.   sure we could have a transport
protocol that provided multiple streams, but why bother when concurrent
TCP connections works pretty well?
> A session layer would allow an app to establish a security context once
> then re-use it when establishing new transport connections, so that
> re-connecting can be cheap and concurrent data streams can be simple.
> Unfortunately TCP doesn't share congestion information between
> connections, which penalises new bulk-data streams and requires
> workarounds at the application level (e.g. HTTP/1.1 persistent
> connections).

mumble.  I don't have a problem with multiple TCP connections, but OTOH
I think that using TCP close for framing is bad application design.   so
I don't view persistent connections in HTTP as a workaround, I view it
as fixing a design flaw in HTTP/1.0.