Re: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

>> I told Ray that I would write up something and send it to ARIN.  but I
>> don't see how that will solve the problem of getting more relevant input
>> to IETF.  allocation sizes still need to be decided in IETF, not by
>> RIRs.  if it's really necessary to give RIRs or ISPs more bits to play
>> with, then IMO there's a good chance that IETF needs to revisit some
>> other IPv6 design decisions.
>>

> 	two step process:
> 		1) go to arin
> 		2) listen to their concerns
>
> 	i understand your desire to go to arin and tell them what
> 	to do, but listening and trying to understand WHY they are
> 	making the choices/options they are would go a long way -
> 	*IF* the IETF should reconsider what it has done.

You are still missing the point.

1. This is NOT ARIN's decision to make, nor that of any of the other
RIRs, because the /48 decision is not independent of many other design
decisions in IPv6.
2. If ARIN or any of the other RIRs have concerns about an IETF design
decision, they need to express that to IETF and ask IETF to fix it.

The danger in my going to them personally is that it will weaken or
delay the communication that needs to occur.   By insisting that I do
this before either ARIN or IETF takes any action there is a far greater
chance that the problems in both ARIN and IETF will not get fixed.