Re: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 04:36:51PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

> >> again, the fundamental problem here is that the RIRs are trying to
> >> second-guess IETF design decisions.
> >>

> > 	"the" RIRs are membership organizations, with members
> > 	consisting of the operational community.  they have to
> > 	try and work with whatever the IETF gives them.. and when
> > 	what the IETF provides is not operationaly feasable, they
> > 	can and will make changes so that an operational network
> > 	exists.
> >
> no demonstration has been made that what IETF provided is "not
> operationally feasible".  also, I suggest that the RIRs are only
> considering operations from a narrow point-of-view.

	hum... something got your dander up... that doesnt qualify
	as a demonstration?  and your suggestions (as Ray pointed
	out) are not reaching the RIR community by your posting here.

> > 	now the IETF is a membership organization as well, so
> > 	individuals can participate in both communities..  if
> > 	you feel that an RIR policy is wrong, then the correct
> > 	place to "fix" it is within the RIR community.
> perhaps, but if IETF has the problem that it's not willing to assert its
> ownership over its own protocols, that problem is better addressed in
> IETF than in ARIN.

	very true.  but throwing protocols "over the wall" and
	ignoring operational input does tend to affect the credibility
	and/or the usefulness of said protocol. Or are you suggesting
	that the IETF designs protocols without regard to operational
	relevence?

--
--bill