RE: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

> I'd encourage folk to read the entire IPv6 policy to get a
> more complete picture.

> And, for those of you worried about end users being given a
> /64 (or worse), from a registry perspective, it is 100%
> acceptable to give every end site a /56. That is what the
> above wording means, and that is what the RIRs expect LIRs to
> do.

That is *NOT* what the quoted wording means. You should read the entire
IPv6 policy to get a more complete picture. In your quoted text, /56 is
used as the base unit of measure because another area of policy suggests
that it is OK to assign a /56 to a small site. The /56 was added at the
request of IPS who have large numbers of consumer subscribers (cable
ISPs) since they preaddress their infrastructure for every home the
cable passes. Using a /48 would chew up /32s at an enormous rate
compared to ISPs using telecom circuits. In the same section where the
various sizes are discussed, it also states that it is acceptable to
assign every end site a /48. Nowhere does it state that a /56 is
acceptable for anything but the smallest sites (private homes).

> The RIRs are not trying to "conserve" in the same sense as
> for IPv4.

The RIRs are also not trying to "not conserve". In fact the RIRs are
merely responding to external requests for policy changes. After much
discussion, some policy changes meet rough consensus after which they
get a bit of wordsmithing (sometimes sloppily done) and enshrined in
policy. The RIRs lurch from one direction to another like a brain
damaged drunkard. A better quality of engagement from the IETF in the
form of an RFC with "IPv6 Guidance for RIRs" would greatly improve the
situation.

--Michael Dillon