Re: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:58:21PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> >> perhaps, but if IETF has the problem that it's not willing to assert its
> >> ownership over its own protocols, that problem is better addressed in
> >> IETF than in ARIN.
> >>

> > 	very true.  but throwing protocols "over the wall" and
> > 	ignoring operational input does tend to affect the credibility
> > 	and/or the usefulness of said protocol. Or are you suggesting
> > 	that the IETF designs protocols without regard to operational
> > 	relevence?
> >
> maybe I'm misled but I've never thought of the registries as bodies
> whose purpose was to collect operational experience.
>
> but yes, I'd very much like for IETF to have more input from those
> involved in operation, as well as having more input from more
> applications developers, as well as having more input from those who
> understand architecture, as well as having more input from actual users
> or user groups.  we need all of those kinds of input.
>
> Keith

	as an IETF member, i might suggest that those mountains will
	not come to you on their own.  i will suggest you follow
	the advice Ray (and others) have given - If you want to
	understand them and get their input, you have to go to
	their fora.

--bill