Re: Technically-astute non-ADs (was: Re: text suggested by ADs)

John - editing to get directly to your questions:

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 18:45 -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> (1) What would it take to convince you that putting in a term or
> two as AD --not a life sentence, but a term or two-- was an
> obligation you, as long-term participants and contributors, owed
> the community?

I do see a term or two as AD as an obligation - that I haven't chosen to
fulfill.  I have seriously considered allowing the nomcom to add my name
to the list of candidates for AD a couple of times (and may have left
may name on the list once, but I can't recall with certainty), but have
always decided against it in the end.  I have the delusion that I would
be able to make a positive contribution.  However, from what I've been
able to learn about the commitment to the job, I have not been willing
to make the professional and personal tradeoffs (even sacrifices)
required to fulfill the responsibilities.

And, I already seem to have a life sentence as chair of the dhc WG...

> (2) How, if at all, would the AD job have to change in order to
> make volunteering on that basis plausible for you?   Please
> don't just answer "lower workload": if that is all or part of
> the answer, what would you get rid of and what would you do with
> it?

I don't know of specific ways to change the job enough to make it
plausible.  More important would be to find myself in a professional and
personal situation where I, my family and my employer would be willing
to commit the necessary time (15-25 hrs/wk? and IETF weeks) and travel
to fulfill the commitments.

- Ralph