Re: text suggested by ADs

John,

I agree - the situation you describe does occur.  However such cases
include "major technical omissions and disagreements" in addition
to minor technical differences.   Actually I suspect that this boils down
to a disagreement between the AD and the author/chair about whether
the technical omission or disagreement is a major one.  Sometimes
the AD is right, sometimes the author or chair is.

I think the ADs should continue to be able to raise such issues, but
I also think it might be helpful to have better way of resolving such
disputes than either "let the AD win" or "let's sit on this until the IESG
holds its nose and passes it".

Keith