Re: Bot postings, was Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Oct 8 06:00:02 2023

--On Saturday, 14 October, 2023 16:20 -0700 Rob Sayre
<sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 14, 2023 at 4:13 PM Ole Jacobsen
> <olejacobsen@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Rob,
>>
>> I don't know how long you've been subscribed to the IETF main
>> discussion list,
>> but the weekly summary statistics have been around for at
>> least a decade if not more.
>>

> I've read the list for 18 years. Is that enough?

Yes.  And six weeks would be enough too.  Except that my
understanding of Ole's point is that, to the extent to which you
just noticed and started complaining, that is, itself, unusual.
Not improper, just unusual.

What, IMO, is important about how long a variation on the
current weekly statistical postings has been around is that,
when Thomas started it, there was a community discussion of
whether it was appropriate and helpful.  The consensus, IIR, was
that some people found it helpful and others were not going to
be significantly bothered by one relatively short posting a
week.  There is a separate issue about what sorts of things can
be done because there are no or few strong objections and at
least tacit approval by the IESG and what things require drafts,
IETF Last Calls, RFC publication, etc.  I will have more to say
about that in other contexts but, for this case, I believe (as I
said earlier) that there was community agreement, long ago, to
these statistical traffic postings.  By contract, my
recollection is that, when the IETF and Last Call lists were
split, there were objections to a similar report for the latter
and it disappeared.

> I don't like the bot, because I think it is used to shut
> people up, and it is clearly against the list charter. But, if
> the IETF does run its usual process and get consensus, that's
> how it should be. Use your own process!

See above for the needed approval process for these things.
However and IMO more important:

* AFAICT, very little of this has to do with whether the
postings are being produced by a bot.  If John were to run the
same process to produce the statistics, then produce a summary
of his opinion about what the statistics meant in context, then
post the summary and statistics in a single message once a week,
that would not constitute a posting by a bot.  It would result
in a longer message and those who object to the statistics
themselves or to John and/or his interpretations would still
have the choice of reading the messages, deleting them each
week, reading some of them and deleting others without reading,
or filtering them out entirely.  I do assume they would generate
even more list traffic as people disputed various conclusions in
the summary, but it still would not be about a bot.

* On the other hand, if you object to automated postings without
I-Ds specifying them, I see many such messages either here or on
ietf-announce (or posted to both) for which there was on such
process.  Why are you not objecting to this and not to those?
If you are merely objecting to the content of these and/or the
opinion of John Levine and some others that the postings are
interesting and/or useful, then that is not about bots but about
your opinion of the content.

If content is the real issue, you should probably know that I'm
not a big fan of that weekly posting.  I wasn't a big fan when
Thomas was posting it.  I'm slightly less of a fan now, not
because of anything that is different substantively but because
the change in practices toward more use of other lists rather
than continuing discussions on ietf@xxxxxxxx has made it, in my
personal opinion, much less informative.  I also think it has
always failed to capture a pair of important nuances, which are
(i) the summary itself is rather crude because it fails to
capture the difference between new material and messages that
are part of long threads in which little trimming of prior
material (whether in-line or top-posting) has been done and (ii)
AFAICT, there is no community consensus as to whether the IETF
prefers lots of short postings or a smaller number of shorter
and more analytic/comprehensive ones.  FWIW, any decision about
that preference would probably drive some helpful contributors
away.

* If the problem is actually not the bot but "used to shut
people up", I'd like to understand why you believe that.  As a
personal example, certainly there have been weeks that I'm at
the top of the list.  Certainly I've gotten off-list notes over
the years, some quite abusive, telling me my messages are too
long, that I should post less, and even that I'm an old fossil
(or worse) who should drop out of the IETF.  Almost none of
those have cited these weekly postings as an authority.  I have
not heard from the SAA team or amyone else either official or
public on that subject.  Almost all of the offlist notes, if
made public, would constitute violations of the Code of Conduct
but, having complaints about far worse (in terms of effects on
the standards process) postponed until "later" and then never
taken up again, I consider myself to have been "shut up" over
Code of Conduct complaints.   There have been weeks in which I
consider multiple, repetitive, postings from a small number of
people -- postings that often put them at the top of the list --
to border on abusive.  I get frustrated enough to delete many of
their messages without reading them (just as I have been told
that many people don't read most of mine).  But the posting of
their statistics does not seem to shut them up either.   If you
see those postings as instrumental in shutting people up, can we
please have a conversation about the "shutting up" issue (which
I would consider very serious) rather than one relatively small
message a week?

In that regard, I think Keith Moore's posting a few minutes ago
(with Subject "principal effect of the bot postings") to be
exactly on-point wrt the content question... but it also has
almost nothing to do with bot versus not-bot.

best,
   john

p.s. not ignoring your other questions... another message coming.