Re: Bot postings, was Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Oct 8 06:00:02 2023

--On Saturday, October 14, 2023 12:13 -0700 Rob Sayre
<sayrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx>:
>> FWIW, as someone who not only takes advantage of the
>> asynchronous nature of email...
>
> That wasn't the issue though, was it? It was about the bot
> emails.

Certainly things have drifted far away from the original topic.

> I will certainly be at the top of the charts this week, even
> though I only write a few sentences most of the time.
>
> I don't think the IETF agreed to allow these bot emails. That
> is the disagreement as I see it.

The IETF definitely agreed back when Thomas Narten was doing it.
Whether John was required to again is not a subject I want to
engage in.  There is an almost-separate question about relative
utility then and now given the move away from general use of the
IETF list and toward lists with a micro-focus, which was part of
Stephen's message to which I was responding.  And, as Brian has
more or less pointed out, this thread has consumed far more
postings and energy that deleting or filtering out messages from
the bot ever could.

best,
   john