Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On 8/22/23 12:35, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
This is not just me being a contrarian. I am *highly* suspicious of anyone not able to express their thoughts in US-ASCII in an email or in an RFC.

It sounds like you're ruling out anyone who writes in languages other than English which is the only major language written in unaccented Latin characters. If that's not what you mean, could you clarify?

We can add more more emphasis on words and phrases and still use US-ASCII by borrowing from AsciiDoc/MarkDown, like I did for the work "highly" in this sentence.

You know, we already have this widely used markup language that lets you put all sorts of emphasis without having to invent your own typography. I'm trying to figure out why a global standards organization that reportedly wants to encourage wider participation would tell people they need to learn a private typography different from the one defined in its own standards.

R's,
John