Re: Expired e-mail addresses

Hi all,

On 8/18/23 12:43 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Thursday, August 17, 2023 21:54 -0700 S Moonesamy
<sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi John,
At 08:25 AM 17-08-2023, John C Klensin wrote:
Of course, this interacts slightly with another active issue.
I am having visions of someone passing away and being
expected by
I gather that the approach at http://r.elandsys.com/r/28956
could work for U.S. residents.
I have trouble seeing how that is relevant.  It seems to apply
to the (saved) contents of of the mailbox, not to the address.
I see nothing there that would, for example, prevent the mail
service provider from shutting the address off (preventing new
messages from being delivered to it) or even assigning the
address to someone else for future traffic.
the IETF to reach out from the grave to update (i.e., remove)
their email address.  Given another recent experience, I have
to wonder whether the tools would then tell them that they
needed to supply a new email address, either because former
authors and contributors are required to have email addresses
or because that a working email address was needed to verify
the change.
The question at the beginning of the thread was about how to
contact the persons listed as authors of a RFC.  Is it the
responsibility of the author of a RFC to ensure that his/her
email address is long-lived or is it the responsibility of the
RFC Editor function?
At the moment, a number of things strongly suggest the answer to
that question is, in terms of responsibility or obligation,
"neither".
[JM] Authors are free to choose the contact information that they provide in an RFC. Some authors use their company contact info because their company sponsored the time they spent working on the document. These addresses are not particularly long lived. Some authors provide more stable personal addresses, but then there is still the issue of how to handle an author's passing.

The RPC can update email information for authors in the rfc-editor.org database; however, we rely on the author (or someone on behalf of the author in the event of their passing or incapacitation) to send mail to rfc-editor.org to request this. The RPC's current tech cannot check to see whether the email addresses it stores remain functional.

When the database moves over to datatracker tech, authors will be able to update their contact info themselves, and perhaps there can be an automated check of the information provided (e.g., "You have received this message...If you would like to update your contact info..."). Then we would need to figure out how to handle the bounces--at a minimum, mark the address as disabled.

The rfc-editor.org website provides a link to the current mailing list for each RFC on the RFC's info page (e.g., "Discuss this RFC: Send questions or comments to the mailing list ippm@xxxxxxxx" [1]). If a reader cannot contact the authors, they can send mail to the current ML to discuss the document.

Best regards,
Jean

[1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9404

best,