Re: Expired e-mail addresses

Of course, this interacts slightly with another active issue.  I
am having visions of someone passing away and being expected by
the IETF to reach out from the grave to update (i.e., remove)
their email address.  Given another recent experience, I have to
wonder whether the tools would then tell them that they needed
to supply a new email address, either because former authors and
contributors are required to have email addresses or because
that a working email address was needed to verify the change.

I hope I'm joking.
   john

--On Thursday, August 17, 2023 09:45 -0500 Robert Sparks
<rjsparks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The datatracker is the best thing we currently have.
>
> The model there is that the person responsible for the
> addresses tells the datatracker about the addresses, rather
> than a 3rd party keeping the current address _for_ them.
>
> The work we are doing on refreshing the RPC tooling will
> include using the datatracker address(es) marked active for
> contacts like the one you point to below.
>
> RjS
>
> On 8/17/23 5:05 AM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
>> We could probably go back to something like the old NIC
>> handle, create a registry that can be updated and include
>> that handle as a reference in documents/etc.
>>
>> My 02
>> -Jorge
>>
>>> On Aug 17, 2023, at 04:53, tom petch
>>> <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there anywhere, ഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 RFC Editor
possibly,ഀ਀㸀㸀㸀  that tracks
changesഀ਀㸀㸀㸀  of e-mail addressesഀ਀㸀㸀㸀
for contributors?
ഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 >> I just posted a rഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 esponse
to an Erratuഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 m and got a number
oഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 f bounces, one of whഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 ich was
a change of ഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 address, change of
aഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 ffiliation, for an Aഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 D; this
is somethingഀ਀㸀㸀㸀  which could
equallyഀ਀㸀㸀㸀  apply to any authorഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 .
>> I have also seഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 en WG Chairs
strugglഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 e to contact RFC
autഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 hors in relationshipഀ਀㸀㸀㸀  to
IPR issues or wiഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 th respect to
updatiഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 ng an elderly RFC,
lഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 ikewise IANA with reഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 gard to
registrationഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 s..
>> It would seeഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 m to me that it
mattഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 ers, sometimes more ഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 than
others, that weഀ਀㸀㸀㸀  can still contact
pഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 eople who have contrഀ਀㸀㸀㸀 ibuted
in the past.
��਀㸀㸀㸀 >>