Re: Expired e-mail addresses

--On Thursday, August 17, 2023 21:54 -0700 S Moonesamy
<sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John,
> At 08:25 AM 17-08-2023, John C Klensin wrote:
>> Of course, this interacts slightly with another active issue.
>> I am having visions of someone passing away and being
>> expected by
>
> I gather that the approach at http://r.elandsys.com/r/28956
> could work for U.S. residents.

I have trouble seeing how that is relevant.  It seems to apply
to the (saved) contents of of the mailbox, not to the address.
I see nothing there that would, for example, prevent the mail
service provider from shutting the address off (preventing new
messages from being delivered to it) or even assigning the
address to someone else for future traffic.

>> the IETF to reach out from the grave to update (i.e., remove)
>> their email address.  Given another recent experience, I have
>> to wonder whether the tools would then tell them that they
>> needed to supply a new email address, either because former
>> authors and contributors are required to have email addresses
>> or because that a working email address was needed to verify
>> the change.
>
> The question at the beginning of the thread was about how to
> contact the persons listed as authors of a RFC.  Is it the
> responsibility of the author of a RFC to ensure that his/her
> email address is long-lived or is it the responsibility of the
> RFC Editor function?

At the moment, a number of things strongly suggest the answer to
that question is, in terms of responsibility or obligation,
"neither".

best,
  john