Re: AD review delays

--On Thursday, June 29, 2023 11:07 -0400 Warren Kumari
<warren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 5:10 PM, George Michaelson
> <ggm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Apart from reducing WG there is the underlying need to also
>> decline work. Not just how many points of organisation:
>> decline to address all submitted and almost any problems.
>>

> Well, there is also the signal that we keep hearing from the
> community that we should be encouraging and fostering new
> works and newcomers to the IETF.

Warren,

Based on a series of recent difficulties, I suggest that, when
that signal gets close to particular proposals, some questions
should be asked.  For example:

(1) Does the proposed work lie well within the IETF's expertise?
My perception is that, if there is not already significant
expertise in the IETF, the result is often of poor quality (or
at least lacking any perspective other than that of the
authors), takes up much more time than when there is more
expertise, or both.  If the work lies at the IETF's edges, how
do the proposers recommend bringing in sufficient expertise and
perspectives to allow the IETF to do good, quality-controlled
work?  Or what do they recommend as an alternative?  "Trust us,
we understand this and are the experts" will never equate to
IETF community consensus.

(2)  Have the proposer(s) considered other venues where there
might be better support and evaluations and/or complementary
other work?  Is there a clear answer to "why the IETF?".

(3) How mature is the proposed work and what are the
expectations of the authors?  If they are looking for a rubber
stamp on work they consider finished, why should the IETF invest
community resources (including AD time) in doing that?  If the
work, and proposed specs, are already deployed and the installed
base will become a reason to resist IETF-recommend changes, why
not just propose an Informational document describing what is
implemented and deployed to the ISE rather than trying to pull
the IETF in and creating more work?

(4) If the work in done in the IETF, standardized, and deployed,
will it have a significant effect on making the Internet better
or will it serve only a small and/or specialized community?

I think that, if we were better at asking those questions, we
would be taking on a lower proportion of work that requires too
much time and energy and that often comes out with poor quality
anyway.   It does not eliminate the challenges of work that is
really important, not obviously better done elsewhere, and for
which IETF expertise is low: I think we need to be thinking
about better ways to handle that type of work because we are not
dealing with it well now.  But it would likely improve things,
including AD workload, overall.

That approach of course carries the risk of the questions being
weaponized to keep unpopular topics and the people proposing
them out.  Maybe the IESG should be working with the community
to create forms of the questions that could be more or less
objectively scored or other safeguards.  Or maybe we can trust
the IESG on  this one.

But I contend we should be encouraging and fostering new work
that the IETF can do well and trying much harder to recruit
newcomers who are interested in contributing to the IETF's
ability to do good work and create a better Internet.  If
someone shows up looking to standardize bandwidth and throughput
mechanisms and associated measurement specific to avian
carriers, I hope they would be asked whether the IETF has
sufficient expertise in ornithology and, if not, where the
expertise will come from as well as whether improvements in
those areas will make the Internet better.

best,
  john