Re: RFC 8252

On 6/28/23 8:40 PM, Christian Huitema wrote:

On 6/28/2023 7:02 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
Strong consensus shouldn't be a reason to relent. I mean, why have the IESG review it at all if a discuss can be overridden by "strong consensus". When I brought this up in the wg way back then (ie, ~2013), it sort of reminded me of an echo chamber which happens to some wg's from time to time -- it wasn't just the main author raining fire on me. I've always thought of the IESG as sort of a backstop for when that happens along with its function of tightening things up. I guess it also begs the question of why it was allowed into their charter in the first place.

It absolutely is the IESG's job to push back on documents of poor technical quality even when there is "strong consensus". Or to put it differently, the criteria for Proposed Standard are not merely "rough consensus" but also "no known technical omissions".   To qualify for Proposed Standard status, both criteria need to be met.

Keith, you may remember that one of the big gripes against the old IAB is that it sometimes acted as "technical dictator", and would try impose specific technical decisions against the will of the working group, or of the IETF in general. Do you want a repeat? Having a managing body push back against a "strong consensus" would probably not end well.

BCP's are not the same creatures as standards that involve bits on the wire. In this particular case it is a BCP saying that bad guys should be good. Two IESG members saw that as it turns out, yet it was published anyway. That is an embarrassment not only for the working group that produced it, but for the IETF as a whole. A standard that doesn't achieve interoperability or doesn't achieve its own goals gets what it deserves and the fault lays squarely on the working group that produced it -- it's not the IESG's job to micromanage working groups. But something like this is a reflection on the whole IETF that we are complete idiots. What the IESG should have done in allowing it to be published at all would be to publish it on April-1 for some plausible deniability.

Mike