Re: Git weakness (was Re: Email (was Re: Next steps towards a net zero IETF))

On 4/11/23, 8:30 AM, "Marc Petit-Huguenin" <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
On 4/10/23 15:22, Salz, Rich wrote:
>>> The reason why I do not think that using Git for that as a good idea is that there is no such validation after applying a commit for an informal text (English in our case), and so plenty of inconsistencies can be introduced by a commit.
>>
>> Have you done this or seen it in action, or is this just a theory?

>I saw that, without Git. I believe that using Git exacerbates that problem,

So you haven't seen the many cases where a pull request has had suggestions from other members to change wording, address the issues you're talking about, and so on.  (To answer the obvious next question, I do not have any good links to particularly recommend, sorry.)

>> The GitHub archives that the IETF makes include archives of the issues and PR's, courtesy of Martin's tooling.

> Hmm, how do I download that with rsync?

Not ready yet, the tools team will be working on it shortly.  And it wasn't (just) Martin, Mike Bishop also. But note that to some extent, it doesn’t matter, since the IETF has not changed it's policy about email being the official channel.

Some people, particularly those who have not already made up their minds, might find https://ietf-gitwg.github.io/ interesting.