Re: Email (was Re: Next steps towards a net zero IETF)

It appears that Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Before folk start accusing me of 'solving the spam problem',
>
>* I get 40-50 spam messages making it into my Gmail inbox per day, several
>times that in my spam folder and goodness knows how many Gmail drop by
>blocking the sender IPs.
>
>* I have received 5 spam contact requests on Skype in >10 years, 2 on
>Signal in five. Similar vanishingly low number of fake contacts on
>Facebook, Twitter, etc. None of those have contained malicious payloads.
>
>* I have never received a junk phone call on Skype, Zoom or Signal, not
>once.
>
>There is really no reason to think that the same approach of requiring
>authentication and authorization could not be applied to an open
>interoperable messaging system.

Unfortunately, there is because they're not comparable.

Email is different from all of those because it is by design easy to
send a bazillion messages in a short time. Spam only works if you can
send vast amounts quickly and cheaply, which is why we see it in
e-mail and robocalls and to some degree SMS.

Try sending bulk junk on any of those other systems and you'll find
that you can't, so spammers look elsewhere.

R's,
John

PS: Trying to turn the spam problem into the authentication problem is a
very old Well Known Bad Idea.  Surely you've encountered it before.