Re: Email (was Re: Next steps towards a net zero IETF)

On 07-Apr-23 07:08, Salz, Rich wrote:
If we continue to insist on email, we run the risk of cutting ourselves off from a pool of future IETFers.  Do a web search on "young people do not do email" for example. Maybe our increased use of GitHub will mitigate this, even though some of our long-term participants are sometimes unhappy about this.

We are not the only ones in this situation; the Apache foundation is similar. Perhaps we can collaborate with them, and others?, to discuss this.

The reason for cleaving to email is not, IMHO, traditionalism. It's functional. Email has more flexibility and functionality than forum-style interaction, including github issue tracking. This isn't a new discovery; it's been like that since the buzzword was "computer-supported collaborative work" at least 30 years ago. Email is simply the survivor; I agree that it's beginning to look as if github issues will also be a survivor. One reason is that the two are well integrated - when a github issue that I'm interested in wakes up, I get an email, and I can even respond by email.

I think the question is not getting away from email, it's how to integrate email and forum-style interaction even better.

Sorry for continuing the thread hijack.

Worth discussing, but not an admin discussion. So I've attempted a list switch.

   Brian