Re: Email (was Re: Next steps towards a net zero IETF)

On 4/6/23 16:49, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

The reason for cleaving to email is not, IMHO, traditionalism. It's functional. Email has more flexibility and functionality than forum-style interaction, including github issue tracking. This isn't a new discovery; it's been like that since the buzzword was "computer-supported collaborative work" at least 30 years ago. Email is simply the survivor; I agree that it's beginning to look as if github issues will also be a survivor. One reason is that the two are well integrated - when a github issue that I'm interested in wakes up, I get an email, and I can even respond by email.

I think the question is not getting away from email, it's how to integrate email and forum-style interaction even better.

Mostly agree, though I would say that email is better in nearly every respect than all of the alternatives in widespread use today, and it's better by design and not merely by accident.   And at least to some degree, email evolved to facilitate "computer-supported collaborative work".

There's still a lot of room for improvement of email, though. Email grew up before the web, and we really haven't discovered how to integrate them well.  HTML in email is a mess, for example, because HTML is really not a good representation for real-world text (which isn't strictly organized in a hierarchy) and an even poorer representation for annotated text.    Back in the 1980s I used to say that email only worked well for people who had computers on their desks.   These days everyone has a computer that they carry around with them, but email discussions work a lot better with larger screens and keyboards than it works with something small enough to fit in one hand.  (IMAP's ability to flag messages helps a lot, if people use it in a consistent way.)   Always-on internet access (which wasn't assumed for email but is almost universal now) makes interactive mail quite feasible, but email/HTML/javascript aren't a good fit  for this for several reasons.

In many ways I think IETF abandoned email in the late 1990s, and that's really unfortunate.  IETF is in a good position to make email an even more effective collaboration tool, but recent management hostility to "bespoke" tools may have discouraged this.   Some experimentation has been done with email user agents (especially webmail), but mostly in a way that differentiates one company's product from another rather than in a way that encourages collaboration across different companies' products.

Email enhancements would make good hackathon projects, provided there's not hostility to actually trying and using those enhancements in IETF.

Keith